Sunday, November 18, 2007

Last Spring Break

It was my first Spring Break in the United States; the school organized some Chinese students to take a trip to Washington DC, the capital city of the United States. For me, this was an opportunity to learn about American culture and monuments. Though the transportation was bus, I had to spend more than ten hours on the bus before arriving at the destination. I did not feel tired, because Washington DC was the place I want to travel to.
Washington DC is the capital city of America. The streets here are tidy; there are many parks, a lot of memorials and many public museums. If do not want to miss any valuable things, I should pay more attention to travel to every place. I’m interested in all the places in my visit, such as White House, US Capitol and Lincoln Memorial. After coming back home, I really wanted to see them again.
At the beginning, I arrived at the Lincoln Memorial. I was attracted by its style of design; it is like a palace in paradise. There are totally 36 pillars on the all sides; they delegate 36 states during Lincoln’s time. Walking up the stairs to enter into the hall, I saw a very high and big Lincoln statue sitting upright in the central local area. Also I found a small museum beside the main hall; it made travelers understand more about American history.
After finishing visiting the Lincoln Memorial hall, we went to the back of the hall to have a look at the beautiful lake. It is said the lakefront in autumn, with the smell of plum flower, the landscape will be more beautiful. I returned the center door of the memorial hall, and stood to take an overlook eastwards outside hall, I could see the Washington Monument, and it is one of the most famous landmarks of Washington DC. There is a long artificial pond in the front of the Washington Monument, which can clearly reflect an entire appearance of the monument. Then we just learned this pond is named “Reflecting Pool”, we must highly praise the singular design of the architect and his clever thought, he made the Lincoln Monument and the pond become a whole. We could also see many memorial buildings of wars in Washington DC, to witness the past in the United States. The Korean War Victim Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial are respectively located the two sides of the lake.
The US Capitol is a little far from the Washington Monument, it is one of the beauties in Washington DC. It was made of white marble; the building is like Roman architecture. Many trees and lawns are on all the sides, so it is also called Capitol Hill. The inner part of the building contains the Senate and House of the Representatives, also some canvases and huge murals are on the walls. They condense more than 200 years of history in the United States, with incredible value.
I could feel a number of Washington DC’s other characteristics; it has many museums and art buildings. There is an American National Gallery of Art nearby the Capitol building. It is separated by two parts, the eastern part and the western part. The eastern part was designed by Mr. Bob, a Chinese architect, which is listed in the top ten buildings in the modern American history. The exhibitions in the National Gallery of Art are rather valuable. Although I can’t understand the art completely, if I could be careful to appreciate it, I would also affected by its magical power.
This is the second time I came to the United States. After visiting some places that I have been to, I have a different feeling. Perhaps I had some more life experiences than before; maybe I had changed my mind. The trip make me have a new look to Washington DC. All the places had expressed the art spirits and patriotic spirits of American. Even though I am not an American, I must respect their spirits. Turning back to see the big trees in the parks and the whole verdant lawn, I felt very relaxed. Finally I know why the American’s mind is thus broad.

1 comment:

Eunice said...

Paul, These are some nice blogs!
From your reaction to Washington DC, I can tell that you really do like nice architecture!